Playing With Partitions: Euler's Pentagonal Theorem

4 comments
This post was originally written for MSE blog. Please click here to read.

Print/PDF Version

4 comments :: Playing With Partitions: Euler's Pentagonal Theorem

Post a Comment

  1. from where you are getting sources to study? and on your own do you think you can start research?

  2. @v.raja sekar,
    Most of the material I study comes from google searches and I have got some books (see bibliography) in hardcopy as well as ebook formats which I study in my leisure time (by the way most of the ebooks I obtained via google searches).

    Regarding research I think mathematics is the only field where one can be an independent researcher without the help of any establishment (like college/university). Ramanujan is a glaring example of this.

    However I am nowhere like him and my main aim is not so much about doing research, but rather trying to study things which interest me and in the process get a sense of enjoyment as well as fulfillment. If in this I happen to discover something new (which ccould be claimed as research) then I would be more than happy. Thus research if any would be a by-product rather than the goal of my blog.

    Another aspect why I prefer blogging as a publishing medium is that it is open. I simply hate the journals which require fees to access the papers. Knowledge has to be free.

  3. you are inspiring.I am bio technology student in IIT but I have minor in mathematics and I love maths.I even want to do ms in maths that's why I ask anyone similar to me some advice.thanks for reply and any advice would be helpful.I am hardworking I am studying IISC UG math syllabus parallel with my subject and I am not feeling much burden and I hope have as much knowledge as math student but I have to use it to get into some university in math department.so any advice would be helpful.

  4. @v.raja sekar,
    I would suggest that you first complete your IIT degree in biotechnology. Meanwhile keep studying mathematics on your own (like the way your are following IISC UG syllabus). Later after completing the biotech from IIT you get try to pursue a Post-Grad course in mathematics in any university. While I don't have much experience about the various universities (after my IIT btech in comp science, I never went for a Postgrad education), but I have interacted with few maths students of IISC. I believe you should then try for getting into IISC.